Wednesday, September 17, 2008

If your Hair Falls Out, Keep Dancing!



by Leslie Ann Butler

If only I'd had this book when I first started losing my hair to Alopecia Areata twelve years ago. There are some parts that would have frightened me, maybe - like the thought that I could get all of my hair back and THEN, little more than a decade later, lose it ALL - but it would have also given me strength - the strength that comes with knowing that there are others like me out there.

Many others.

In the chapter called "Nights of a Thousand Tears", Leslie Ann and women she talks with explain the feelings that they deal with even after years of living with this disorder. Some of their stories made me cry. Some made me laugh. All made me realize that I'm not the first to have gone through this.

"Pulling it Off" - my personal favorite chapter - speaks to stories of telling friends and lovers. Having no hair is bad enough for a woman, but having your boyfriend walk out of your life when you tell him must be devastating. Except in hindsight - because, really, who wants THAT jerk anyway?

Leslie Ann provides invaluable information on wigs, eyebrows (in fact, I purchased the recommended "Beauti-Full Brows" temporary tattoo eyebrows after reading about them here) and eyelashes. Eye makeup tips that make all the difference in the world if you feel the need to

The best part of all about this book, though, is that even the serious parts are related with a sense of understanding and underlying humor. And having "met" Leslie Ann through Alopecia World - I can tell you with 100% certainty, she's a beautiful woman - inside AND out.

I'm passing my copy around to all of my family members to read. I hope that it will open their eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did keep dancing! I knew you would.